Stephen Smith Barton
My Third Great Grandfather
me --> Ruth Rasmussen Buchanan --> Arthur Price Rasmussen --> Mary Jane Olsen --> Sally Ann Barton Olsen --> Stephen Smith Barton
Have you ever received a Christmas present from the President of the United States?
Well, my ancestor has.
These days it doesn't seem possible that a Republican or a Democrat can agree on anything. But in 1887 Republican Senator George Edmunds and Democrat Representative John Tucker did.
They passed a law that disincorporated the LDS Church and the Perpetual Emigration Fund. Why? Because the Church practiced polygamy. Violation of this law was punishable with fines and jail time.
|Polygamists serving jail time|
Which included my third great grandfather, Stephen.
1. James Goshell in South Carolina for tax evasion
2. Isaac A. Stanley in Ohio for banking violations
3. Richard J. Meaney in D.C. for assaulting a police officer
4. William Palmer in Detroit for assault
5. John Swallow in Kansas for manslaughter
6. A.W. Neff in D.C. for embezzlement
7. Chet Palmentier in Utah for violation of the Edmunds-Tucker Law
8. Joseph P. Barton in Utah for violation of the Edmunds-Tucker Law
9. William Jones in Utah for violation of the Edmunds-Tucker Law
10. Stephen S. Barton in Utah for violation of the Edmunds-Tucker Law