Monday, May 28, 2012

I Married the Enemy

Soren Olesen (1791-1872)

My third great grandfather 


me -->Ruth Rasmussen Buchanan --> Arthur Price Rasmussen --> Mary Jane Olsen Rasmussen --> Peter Isaac Olsen


My second great grandfather, Peter, was tough.  He got it from his Dad, Soren.

Soren Olesen was born in Denmark just after the French Revolution.  


As Soren was 8, Napoleon seized power in France.  When he was 13, Napoleon crowned himself Emperor.  Three years later, Denmark's fleet was attacked by the British.  Denmark fought against Britain in what was called the Gunboat War.

Small Danish boats attacking large British ships, surprisingly Britain won.

Obviously Denmark was no longer neutral in the war between France and Britain so Napoleon took over the Danish Army which included Soren Olsen.  Soren was an officer, some even say a General.  Since he's my ancestor, I'm going to go with General.

Napoleon with his Generals.  Soren is the one on the left.


Soren was part of Napoleon's historic march across Europe and through the Alps and took part in the Battle of Waterloo.



As we know, Waterloo didn't go very well for Napoleon.  Maybe that's why he wouldn't turn around for the picture.

Soren didn't take it very well either.  He hated the British and refused to wear red for the rest of his life.

I'm glad I don't have to break it to him that I married a man who is 5/8 English.



And that he looks good in red.


1 comment:

  1. Love this! Soren was also my 3rd great grandfather! I’ve only recently started researching.

    ReplyDelete